Powered by Schneider's Bakery, Inc.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ratings vs. Ratings

A fan just tweeted this to me (I fixed some of the spelling):

@DanWarp Wizards of Waverly premiered its 3rd season this past weekend and got great ratings- how do they compare with iCarly's 3rd season premiere?

The Answer:
  • Wizards of Waverly Place – 3rd season premiere (October 9, 2009) – Total viewers = 4.6 million  
  • iCarly – 3rd season premiere (September 12, 2009) – Total viewers = 7.6 million
          UPDATE:

          Hey!  I've been reading a lot of your comments about this post.  While I really appreciate all the kind words about iCarly (I truly do!), I want to be clear and say that I wasn't knocking Wizards of Waverly Place by posting these ratings.  I know that lots of people like that show, and I have friends who tell me it's good.

          Some fans are very into the whole "Nick vs. Disney" competitive thing.  I am, in some ways, too.  I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to win and be the best at what you do.  Healthy competition is often a good thing.

          But I think it's fine if the audience likes lots of different shows.  If I owned a restaurant, I wouldn't expect all my customers to like only my restaurant and hate all others.  I'm a Coca-Cola guy, but I enjoy a Pepsi now and then, too.  Variety is nice!

          Anyway, sure, I'm proud of iCarly's ratings – but I'm not into high ratings for the bragging rights.  I like high ratings because they let me know we're getting it right.  And that's our #1 goal: Keeping the audience happy, entertained, and coming back for more.

          Your Pal,
          --Dan :)